What: The Utah Department of Health (UDOH) and Utah Coalition for Protecting Childhood (UCPC) will host a roundtable discussion with community advocates to discuss how to reduce risk factors and increase protective factors associated with adverse childhood experiences, child maltreatment, abuse and neglect, and opioid misuse/overdose.
Why: Each year in Utah there are more than 10,000 substantiated cases of child maltreatment. These cases include physical abuse, neglect, psychological mistreatment, sexual abuse, and medical neglect.
Who: Interviews available include:
- Deondra Brown, child advocate, UCPC co-chair
- Kim Fischer, Waterford Upstart
- Vonda Jump Norman, Utah State University and The Family Place
- Gred McDonald, Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program
- Brent Platt, Utah Department of Human Services, UCPC co-chair
- Teresa Betzer, UDOH
- Joey Thurgood, UDOH
When: Wednesday, November 6, 2019
1:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Where: Red Butte Gardens
Richard K Hemingway Orangerie
300 Wakara Way, Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Note: The media is welcome to attend the entirety of the roundtable discussion, from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. However, interviews with the experts listed above will only be available from 1:30 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
# # #