Are You Ready to Have Another Baby?
Why you should WAIT before having another baby
- Your body needs to renew itself before it can provide the proper nourishment for another baby. Why? Because it took your whole life to build up enough calcium and iron to nourish the first baby!
- So how much time should you give yourself between babies? Experts recommend waiting 18-24 months before becoming pregnant again.
- You are 40% more likely to deliver prematurely if you become pregnant again only 6 months after giving birth.
- You are 61% more likely to have a baby with low birth weight if you become pregnant again only 6 months after giving birth.
What can you do to prepare your body for another healthy baby?
Take a single daily multivitamin with at least 400 mcg of folic acid to make sure you are getting all the nutrients you need. Start taking your vitamin with folic acid before becoming pregnant—folic acid will help prevent birth defects in your baby, especially if it’s already stored in your body.
If you’re thinking about adding to your family, it is important to consider the needs of everyone in it, including your own. Are YOU ready to have another baby? Is your partner, and are your children? It’s a good idea to make a family plan. When doing so, consider the following questions:
- Can we afford another child right now?
- Do we have the space for another child right now?
- Am I emotionally prepared to have another baby at this time?
- Can I give a new baby the attention it deserves?
- Has my doctor confirmed that I am physically ready to have another baby?
- How will my other children handle the arrival of a new sibling?
- Will getting pregnant take energy away from being a great mom now?
Be sure you give yourself time and are fully prepared before you get pregnant again.
Did You Know that you can get pregnant while breastfeeding? Many women do not menstruate while they are breastfeeding, but this does not mean that you can’t become pregnant. Talk to your health care provider about reliable birth control methods.